The previous roadmap is mostly still valid. The only thing that didn't make it into 1.7 was:
- More flexible custom HTML areas (widgets), and allowing widget plugins to be placed on page plugins.
And I still intend to implement the ones for 1.8:
- An improved Notifications system: post replies, wall posts, PMs for each user will be more visible on-site (e.g. an icon/number like Facebook/Reddit/Stack Exchange).
- More control over which pages are displayed (e.g. completely turning off the Users page), and ordering of menu items.
- Comment voting.
- Allow user to sort answers by votes/time.
- Page caching.
Three new features have already been implemented (first 2 by pupi1985):
- Number formatting characters (decimal point, thousands separator) can be specified in language files.
- Numbers (for votes, views etc) can be compacted e.g. 1.3k instead of 1300.
- Switch to schema.org microdata.
A few more minor coding things that may also be implemented:
- Use AJAX for closing questions.
- Confirmation dialog when navigating away from the current page while writing a question/answer.
- Convert the category widget into a real widget plugin.
- Change REPLACE queries with INSERT... ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE.