Welcome to the Question2Answer Q&A. There's also a demo if you just want to try it out.
+3 votes
in Q2A Core by
edited by
Let me explain the scenario... Today a user messaged me and I tried to reply him but as I click the reply button, the page reloaded and I saw page not found.

Then I visited that user's profile and found that he has turned off private messaging. That is why I got "Page not found" message.

I think, instead of page not found message, there should display "The user has turned off private messaging." This will give clear idea to rest of the users what actually is happening. Because I am running Q2A site so I know that this is the problem but not everyone would be knowing this issue.
Q2A version: 1.7

1 Answer

+2 votes
selected by
Best answer
Although I really don't like the idea of having the translation files grow, I think this makes sense. Particularly because it is a bit shocking for the user to see a page not found message. They might assume the user has been deleted.

Just created a pull request to change this behavior: https://github.com/q2a/question2answer/pull/272
I had the same problem. Please let us know how to do it for the other translation files languages as well. Please reply to my comment as soon as this problem is corrected, or tell us how to fix it temporarily.
I don't control the Q2A releases in any way. I also won't take the responsibility of notifying anyone about when something is merged. Particularly, if there is a tool already designed for that. If you want to know the status of the pull request you can just monitor it (subscribe to the PR's notifications). Also note that it is a pull request and it doesn't mean it will be merged. It might be rejected.

I created the PR to be merged in the 1.8 branch. This is because there is an intention to make all 1.7.x translations compatible regardless of the value of x. So that gives you an idea of the WHEN.

Regarding the temporary fix, it's just right there in the pull request. As you want a core hack, doing so is just that, a core hack. Check the "Files changed" section of the pull request and apply those changes to your installation. You can change the text right there in file qa-lang-profile.php. That way, if this is fixed in 1.8, replacing the file will apply the release fix and remove this temporary fix.
Ok thank you for the precision.
Hello @pupi1985... its awesome that you made a PR so quick for this. But I need to know why it is bad to grow translation files (since you mentioned that you don't like it)??
For 2 reasons:

1) The more pieces of text you need to translate the more likely that you quit or don't even start. Everybody would translate 10 pieces of text. We currently have 1150+. The more you have, the more demotivating the task.

2) Take a look at http://www.question2answer.org/addons.php . As you can see, translations are named 1.7.x . The intention, as I mentioned above, is to make all translations of the minor releases compatible. Adding a single line would require to generate new translations. This actually happened in 1.6.3 and translations were not updated so there might be some untranslated texts from 1.6.2 to 1.6.3. To fix this I chose to create a GitHub repo in which I could craft a release per minor version https://github.com/pupi1985/q2a-spanish-translation/releases without the need to notify Gideon
Thanks for your reply... so there is no such technical reason for this other than user's comfort... But you are also right that with 1150+ lines it would be really time consuming to make a translation in any language...