Just some brainstorming after being here for about 5 years:
Q2A is great platform but it needs to be more appealing to masses. For example:
- Improve this forum design to look more modern and clean, better themes/plugins directory (like other CMS'es do with visual information, internal theme, plugin downloads...
- Present q2a platform as use for more than q&a platform (disscusion forum perhaps...) as wordpress did with blog platform.
- User friendly instalation. Users should be able to install q2a without touching code.
In this way Q2A would gain more developer and users attention wich would result in faster development by many people. Thats my opinion. I would love to see q2a being developed for more years to come :)
Edit: Maybe some monetizing options for authors / author ?
Open source can be profitable wich can lead to more motivation to develop core.
- Donations. Why gideon don't accept offer to get donations ? Maybe someone would me more motivated ? Maybe even donate button in each profile ? So every developer/helper can get donations here...
- "hosting" page where hosting providers can have their Q2A listed for comissions.
- Not-selft hosted Q2A with premium options (also like wordpress.com did).
Of course if gideon doesn't plan to to something more with this software, forking and doing things i mentioned would be important in my opinion.