I suddenly realize that I wasted a lot of views because Google Adsense ads don't load every time.
I have some pages that rank very well in Google search. However, the bitter thing is Google Adsense ads don't load on those pages.
After some tests, here's something I learn about my site, and maybe it's true to some other Q&A sites.
- Ads almost always load on your main homepage.
- Ads almost rarely load on questions without answers or those with short answers.
- Ads sometimes never load on questions even though it has a good and long answer. (What the fridge!)
- Adding related questions section does increase your chance of showing ads.
- Related questions with just titles and view counts like in Quora perform poorly, compared to ones with more information, especially with the short description.
- A question page with 20 related questions performs poorly, compared to the homepage even though the home page also has nothing but a list of 20 questions.
- It's so funny that if you use the code print_r($question); which displays the values of all question array keys, the more chance Google serves ads. So technically, Adsense requires more texts!!!
- It seems that auto ads show ads more frequently than if you load ads in fixed positions.
I think Q&A sites in general are pissed. Google treats Q&A sites like the way they treat blogging sites, and seem to favor pages with lengthy texts with things like table of contents, the bottom line, etc...